



# Nebraska Regional Service Committee of Narcotics Anonymous

**April 10, 2021**

**Zoom Platform**

**(3:05 PM)** Monica T. opened the meeting with a moment of silence followed by the Serenity Prayer.

**Twelve Traditions:** Read by Seth R. **Twelve Concepts:** Read by Brenda D.

**Executive Committee:**

**Chairperson:** Monica T.  
**Vice-Chair:** Absent (**Open**)  
**Treasurer:** Dean B. (**Open**)  
**Vice-Treasurer:** Absent  
**Secretary:** Kendra D.  
**RD:** Brenda D.  
**Alt RD:** **Open**

**Sub- Committees:**

**NRCNA 37:** Donald P.  
**General Assembly:** Brenda D.  
**Outreach:** Donald P.  
**Policy:** Seth R.  
**P.I.:** Christine F.  
**I.T.:** Sam S.  
**H&I:** Absent; Report Rcvd  
**Archives:** Dick T.  
**SBTW Liaison:** Tommy N.

**Area RCM's:**

**Columbus:** Paul H.  
**Central:** John D.  
**Eastern:** Hadrian C.  
**Elkhorn Valley:** Chelsey F.  
**Fremont:** Alt. RD; Robert S.  
**Great Plains:** Brian P.  
**Platte Valley:** Absent  
**Southeastern:** Report Received; Proxy

**Visitors:** Mark W., Tracy K., John D.

**Consensus to Accept Last Meetings Minutes:** Passed By Consensus

**Treasurer's Report (3:11 PM):**

<b>RSC Meeting Date:</b> 4/10/2021		<b>RSC Meeting Beginning Balance:</b> \$5,085.62	
		<b>Prudent Reserve:</b> \$7,325.00	
Donations		Expenses	
Area, Group, or Other	Amount	Chk #	Written To - Description/Purpose
Steptakers	\$50.00	1339	Christine F (PI)
ENNA	\$235.23	1340	Plains States Zone, 25%
ENNA	\$335.60	1341	Tera Newcombe (H&I)
ENNA	\$11,307.02		
<b>TOTAL DONATIONS:</b>		\$11,927.85	
<b>RSC MEETING SUMMARY REPORT</b>		<b>EXPENSES SUBTOTAL:</b>	
<b>BEGINNING BALANCE:</b>	<b>\$5,085.62</b>	<b>NAWS (WORLD) DONATION:</b>	<b>\$6,724.40</b>
<b>TOTAL DONATIONS:</b>	<b>\$11,927.85</b>	<b>TOTAL EXPENSES:</b>	<b>\$9,688.47</b>
<b>TOTAL EXPENSES:</b>	<b>-\$9,688.47</b>		
<b>ENDING BALANCE:</b>	<b>\$7,325.00</b>		

**Area Reports (3:13 PM):**

**Columbus:** Clean Way Business report for region 4/10/2021 - Hello Dear NA brothers and sister the Clean Way Club is having consistent meetings we have masks and cleaning supplies for those that need or want them. With the warm weather we have

started our Bon Fire meeting at Lake North Saturdays with food, s'mores, fellowship and fishing before the 8pm meeting. The treatment center is now attending meetings weekly at the club. We are keeping our areas H&I commitments.

We asked NAW's for a detailed list for monies spent about the lawsuits and info about them. We were concerned when a member mentioned about a lawsuit costing 500,000\$ that is monies we would like to go to our 5<sup>th</sup> tradition. This was mentioned in our last region business meeting. Was reported to us that NAW's sued fellow addicts in the Philippines for using our NA name. They are defending a suit in Russia something about the Russian government does not approve of the basic text and goes against their religion. And there is a Petition filed in CA about the use of our FIPT (Fellowship Intellectual Property Trust) by addicts concerned about our traditions. Anthony the CEO was very respectful and said a detailed list could not be arranged at this time. But the total for all 3 legal actions were about 500,00\$.

**Central:** Hello Family! Central Area is alive and well. All of our meetings are face to face. We are caring a message of recovery. We have a couple meetings that are struggling and are area has been able to help. Central Area would like to host Region in July. In loving service, John D

**Eastern:** Good afternoon everybody, More meetings continue to open in ENNA, and some new meetings are forming. Mask rules are in place at many meetings, please be aware if visiting that there is a mask mandate still in place in Douglas County. H&I efforts have been minimal, we had the Salvation Army expressing interest in letting us return however they had asked that only one trusted servant come into the facility. As such, we have not been able to move forward with that. We do have one facility, Lasting Hope, that is open for us to take in H&I meetings. We have also recently launched a bus bench advertising campaign and will have three locations in the Omaha area where ads will be posted. P3 is still sending basic texts to prisons, although volume has been low. They sent out 23 books last month. There will be a Spring into Recovery Picnic on May 1st in Omaha at 6802 Harrison Street- Seymour Smith Park. The picnic will start at 10am and will conclude with the 7:30pm Old Skool Recovery meeting which will occur at the park on that date. In Loving Service, Hadrian Currier

**Elkhorn Valley:** Hello family. EVANA is doing well. All meetings are open in person. The treatment center has been able to come and attend at least one meeting. We voted yes for Mark W. ILS, Chelsey F.

**Fremont:** Absent

**Great Plains:** The Great Plains Area is alive and well. Our meetings have been open. Meeting attendance at most meetings has been down though. We are reaching out to the individual groups and making sure that their rent is current and checking to see if they are needing any support. We have a couple of different functions coming up and the information will be sent to the website soon. We voted at our last area meeting and will be holding off on a Region donation at the moment. I have the vote for the Regional proposal. Thank you for letting me be of service. Brian P.

**Southeastern:** Sam S. – Proxy: Our Area is not back to full capacity yet, as a lot of them are held in hospitals etc. We do have 14 meetings available some are hybrids with a few doing Zoom Meetings. H&I are trying to figure out how to accommodate the increasing number of times a week that they would like us to visit. The penitentiary we are still not able to get into. The treatment centers are not allowing any of their residents to attend meetings inside or outside the treatment center. There is still a mask mandate. The meetings in our Area are doing what they are supposed to. Our Activities Committee is up and running and the first event will be Spring in Recovery on April 24th. We are currently in process of voting a new RCM. Other than that, everything is going well. ILS, Sam S.

Report Received from John D. RCM Post Meeting: Hello family SENANA is moving forward with face-to-face meetings settling into new locations and times. We have been able to return to some facilities including jails and treatment centers for H&I. We feel this is exciting news. Also, we are looking into resuming having functions and events again just in time for nicer weather. I am glad to be able to serve, John H

**RD Report:** Greetings NA Family, I again have been busy since we last met...

- On January 23<sup>rd</sup> I attended the Plains States Zonal Business meeting. We discussed the Role of Zones work group and wanted to reach out and ask the member regions to do a Zonal assessment. We also received more information on the vision of the collaboration of US Zones. Discussed thoughts on the new wording in FIPT... some had skimmed and didn't see anything that stood out. There are two open positions at Zone, Co-Facilitator and PR Coordinator. Next check in will be in March.
- On February 13<sup>th</sup>, I participated in the Conference Participant Web Meeting. It was about "Invest in Our Vision". The two Webinars for the fellowship will be about Virtual Meetings: Carrying the Message Effectively and Virtually and will include 1) Best Practices for Virtual Recovery Meetings and 2) How Virtual Meetings are connecting to the wider world of NA and NA service delivery. Covid has complicated planning the World Service Conference 2022. Revisions for the Fellowship Intellectual Property Trust (FIPT) are posted at [www.na.org/fipt](http://www.na.org/fipt) for fellowship review until the end of May 2021. Also, two recent bulletins have been posted about some of the history, reasons why the FIPT exists, and World Services' role in preserving the integrity of NA literature. The new media page at [www.na.org/media](http://www.na.org/media) makes it easy to download, repost, and share videos, social media memes and frequently requested material. After reviewing the 2010 CAR about self-support, we split into small groups and discussed two questions: 1) What could change the culture of NA? and 2) How can we collectively encourage a culture of giving? We were also asked 1) Global: What strategies can we employ to help members understand the need to support our services through contributions? And 2) NAWs: How can we work together as a Conference to achieve World Services' goal, that 70% of our expense for services be funded by contributions (contributions from members, groups, and service bodies, not literature sales)? The next Conference Participant web meeting will be April 17<sup>th</sup>.
- The month of March was... well, a definite struggle for me. I was called to report to Jury Duty from March 1 to April 2<sup>nd</sup>... I was supposed to do a workshop for the Fremont Freezeout on the 13<sup>th</sup> but was ill that weekend. Shout out to them for being so understanding and kind! We had a Zonal Meeting on the 20<sup>th</sup> and discussed doing a Zonal Assessment from each region, update on the strategic plan for US zone collaboration, and the Multi-Zonal Service Symposium the end of August in San Antonio. The next business meeting for Plain States Zonal Forum is May 23, 2021 at 5pm. There were two Fellowship Webinars held in March... 1) How do virtual meetings connect to the service system and 2) NAWs Update: current activity at NA World Services. I attended the second one. (tried to go over most of it during General Assembly) The next Conference Participant Webinar is April 17<sup>th</sup> at 1pm.
- At the end of March, I received an email from NAWs and asked Kendra to send out that information to you.
- I am helping a group with presenting an idea to be submitted in the next Conference cycle. This would be ideal to have passed through our Region and submitted by the Nebraska Region. I would like to talk about it during general discussion.

In closing, I am still learning how to disseminate all this information out to the Fellowship. Please know that if you have any questions or concerns, I will do my best to help find the answers for you. I would like to attend the Multi Zonal Service Symposium in August, and the Zonal meeting in South Dakota in September (more will be revealed).

Action items that input is requested on are...

- How do you feel about virtual meetings being included in the service structure?
- SPAD last batch to write is available until May 31<sup>st</sup> [www.na.org/SPAD](http://www.na.org/SPAD) (the reviewing will still be going on)
- Video on FIPT is available at [www.na.org/FIPT](http://www.na.org/FIPT) - fellowship review for FIPT until May 2021
- Surveys are available at [www.na.org/survey](http://www.na.org/survey)
- What are your feelings/ideas on the process of changing our culture and attitude of funding our services? (aka – member contributions are the most sustainable)
- Audio versions of our Basic Text are available online for free [Basic Text audio files \(na.org\)](http://www.na.org/basic-text-audio-files)
- May 1<sup>st</sup> is NA Service Day – anyone have something planned?
- June 6-12<sup>th</sup> is PR Week – again, anyone have something planned? [www.na.org/pr act](http://www.na.org/pr-act)
- Service positions open at Zone are Co-Facilitator and PR – please let me know and I can pass along the qualifications and responsibilities.

"Being of service frees us into our own lives and opens us to the spirit of love that surrounds us. We experience unconditional hope and understand that there is no limit to how much better we can get. No matter how far we have come, the journey continues." – *Living Clean: The Journey Continues*. Thank you for letting me serve! Brenda, RD

**Sub- Committees (3:21 PM)**

**NRCNA XXXVII:** Hello Family, I'm glad to report that the rates of the hotel are confirmed and will remain the same as last year. We still have our speakers coming and entertainment with Colicche is confirmed as well. Hoping that we can get people booked into the hotel pre-registration so we can have some comp-rooms. We have the speakers, flights, and rooms paid for and a balance of \$5,170.65. Our flyer should be on the website soon. Also, May 15<sup>th</sup> in Grand Island, Central Area will be hosting a Fundraiser for NRCNA 37. It will be a Speaker Jam from 2PM – 8PM. ILS, Donald P.

**General Assembly:** Nothing new to report. ILS Brenda D.

**H&I:** Hello Everyone, Sorry that I am not able to attend again this quarter. Hopefully, everyone is doing well. I am also hoping that in July I will be able to attend, and I have my fingers crossed that we will all be able to see each other at the street dance :) I have some H&I literature still, so if anyone needs any, please reach out to me and I can get you some. Or in general if there is anything else that I can help with in relation to regional H&I. The regional H&I email is [hospitalsinstitutions@nebraskana.org](mailto:hospitalsinstitutions@nebraskana.org). Again, despite limitations, I know people throughout our Region are continuing to do H&I work in a variety of ways, such as continuing to do H&I meetings when possible, getting H&I literature into facilities, and doing H&I trainings. I was able to also do an H&I training at the Fremont Freezeout. I have a list of trained individuals from three Nebraska areas, which are EVANA, Central, and Fremont, and if the H&I chairs would like information on who from their area was trained, please email me. I will also plan to bring this information to the next region as well. Thank you for all ya'll do! Gratefully in service, Tera N. :)

**Outreach:** I had sent a package sent not to a person in Ainsworth and it was returned. I will try again to get a correct address. Besides that, nothing new to report. ILS Donald P.

**Policy:** Hello Family, Although Proposal 3 regarding the storage unit for archives passed by consensus in January, I have not yet updated the budget information in Addendum C of the policy manual. Once I have confirmation that the rental of the storage unit has begun, I will update the policy accordingly. ILS, Seth R.

**PI:** Hey there family, P.I. Was held today and thank you all to who all attended. RCM's if you could communicate at your area service committee body and see if the Public Information Chairs could attend or send a report to myself before the next regional business meetings. That way we can further support one another in this new journey. :)

SENANA shared that they are working on a running mtg list and are being printed and website is running well. Still currently looking for a place to meet. EVANA is working on updates in our mtg lists and pull tabs around the community. The P.I. Chair has talked about taking presentations to facilities around the community as well. We will see how this goes.

Not much else was talked about today. Thank you for letting me be of service. Christine F. - P.I. Chair

**IT:** I've had a couple ask me about the Zoom Meeting Link that used to be on the website. I removed that link because people were no longer sending me accurate information and I would much rather put no information rather than inaccurate information. In COVID time, keeping accurate meeting information has been tough. If groups do not provide that information to us, we have to go by what we have. Sometimes that is accurate and sometimes that is not. Keeping Region up to date within person meetings, Zoom Meetings, or hybrids is important. I am going to adding some things to the website. There is a new section that lists the Area's in our Region and has the contact information for each contact person in our Area. If all RCMs would please look at this and let me know if something needs changed our added. If your Area has a meeting list that is local or something that someone put together, I can include a link for that. If you have any other information that your Area would like to have on that tab of our website, please let me know. ILS, Sam S.

**Archives:** There is nothing new to report. All is well and we are ready for the convention. ILS, Dick T.

**SBTW:** Hi Family, SBTW is still going! We need sponsors and support. There is an online orientation for sponsors coming up on April 24<sup>th</sup> at 11 AM. I am including the link for the flyer on this report and I will put it in the chat as well! If there are any areas or groups wanting an in-person orientation (maybe at a function or whatever) let me know and I will try to get it done!

Flyer link: [SBTW-Orientation-Flyer-2021-03-17.pdf \(pszfna.org\)](#)

ILS, Tommy N

### **Old Business (3:30 PM):**

- **Proposal #3:** To nominate Mark W. for Vice-Chairperson.  
**Intent:** To be of service to our Region.

**Financial Impact:** None  
**Submitted By:** Mark W.  
**Passed By Consensus**

**Open Floor (3:43 PM):**

- Brenda D. - One of the groups in EVANA contacted me regarding submitting a proposal to the World Services to propose an idea for Step Key tags that individuals would get as they complete a step. World Services replied and liked the idea but are financially strained at this point but is on there to consider for the next C.A.R.
- Sam S. – Brenda sent out a communication about an individual who is opening a treatment facility and starting an NA meeting there. Southeastern has reached out to this individual to communicate with them. Southeastern Area has been working to pick up some of the pieces that were left as far as meetings and assistance to individuals in Nebraska City after the Southeast Survivors Area disbanded. I just wanted to let you know that the piece of communication is being addressed and not being ignored.
- Paul H. – Asked if someone in Washington could sponsor someone through SBTW and how that worked. Tommy N. replied and let him know that we are always looking for sponsors.

**Break (3.54 PM)**

**Nominations (4:05 PM)**

None

**New Business (4:11 PM):**

- **Proposal #1:** To change the NRSC Policy:

**IV. Nominations and Elections – General Guidelines:**

If any newly elected member of the NRSC has served in any NRSC position for a period of less than six months, no new nomination will be necessary, and that member’s term shall be extended until the end of the following term.

**Intent:** To ensure consistency within the NRSC service structure and to allow adequate time for members to develop an understanding of their elected position.

**Financial Impact:** \$0.00

**Submitted By:** Seth R. (EVANA)

**Proposal Withdrawn**

A discussion was held prior to the decision to have this proposal withdrawn.

- Kendra D.: Proposed to include ‘NRSC’ before the word position to make it clear that the NRSC elected member is serving in an NRSC position for less than six months of a term at the time of their initial election, and would like to submit a nomination to continue serving for the next term.
- Sam S.: What about members that would like to submit a nomination that are not in the current position or members who don’t want to serve the next term?
- Tommy N.: Continuity and having a blanket policy to incorporate within the policies is a good idea if a position’s nomination is open, and no nominations have been received. Most Areas probably have a similar policy that a position continues until the end of the current term.
- Donald P. – Is there an existing policy, or what does the current policy state?
- Seth R. – There is no policy. Only that all the positions open every odd year in July.
- Monica T. – Maybe it could read that when the nominations are open, if we have a newly elected individual serving within an NRSC position, within the last quarter, that individual would not need to submit another nomination if no new nominations were received.

- Sam S. – What about individuals who would like to submit nominations for a position, or what if the individual doesn't want to serve the next term in that position?
- Seth R.: The more that we talk about it the more I believe that I would like to withdraw this proposal. There are just too many issues where it does not allow for the voice of the individual or for our members to be able to voice their opinion over the elected person continuing to serve within that position. I think it's easier to explain to members why they are having to vote again rather than taking away their voice to vote.
- Monica T.: Most seated individuals have generally continued to serve under the elected position until a new nomination has been submitted.
- Proposal Withdrawn

- **Proposal #2: For Central Area would like to host the next Region on July 10, 2021.**

**Intent:** To host the 2<sup>nd</sup> quarter NRSC meeting, in Grand Island, NE on July 10.

**Financial Impact:** Unknown

**Submitted By:** John D.

It was brought up that our policy states that the location needs to be secured before we can approve the proposal. It was decided that Brenda D. would contact Fonner Park to see if the location could be secured. If not, she will contact Giltner, NE Community Center to see if it is available on that date and will notify the secretary by Tuesday, April 13, 2021. Under these conditions:

**Passed By Consensus**

- It was discussed that the General Assembly topic would be a NAWS update and will begin at 1 PM.

- **Bids are open for NRCNA 38. Please discuss this with your Area to consider hosting the next NRCNA convention.**

**Open Positions:**

**Alternate Regional Delegate (Alt. RD)**

**Treasurer:** (Dean has agreed to stay seated until the Treasurer Position can be filled).

**REMINDER: Please send any updated in-person or Zoom Meeting information to [meetinglist@nebraskana.org](mailto:meetinglist@nebraskana.org) and [it\\_committee@nebraskana.org](mailto:it_committee@nebraskana.org)**

**The Next Region will be held at the 4-H Café in Fonner Park Café, 700 E. Stolley Park Road in Grand Island on July 10, 2021**

(General Assembly Begins at 1 PM – NAWS UPDATE; Sub-Committees Begin at 2 PM; Region Business at 3 PM CST).

**Proposal To Close (4:50 PM)**